Non-OF Ports (was Re: Need developer to help move JDK ppc port forward)

Tony Mantler eek at escape.ca
Thu Dec 9 11:24:22 EST 1999

At 4:12 PM -0600 12/8/99, Takashi Oe wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Kevin_Hendricks wrote:
>[...I'm sorry to hear about JDK port...]
>> Also, if anyone needs a 40 something year old former PDP-8 and PDP-11
>>programmer
>> with time on his hands to help out a *true* Open Source project, let me
>>know...
>
>Do you still have 8100 with you?  If so, porting Linux/PPC to your machine
>may be a project for you.  Now that BootX can boot MkLinux, everything
>there is open source (finally).

Speaking of Non-OF machines...

I was thinking it would help porting (in my case, to my 5200, which I
unfortunatley haven't had much chance to work on lately) if BootX were able
to construct a fake OF device tree in the absence of a real one.

I'm not sure exactly what the structure should be, but the kernel shoudn't
need a whole bunch information as the NuBus style hardware is fairly simple.

I'd do it myself, but I don't have codewarrior. (Fooey on non-free MacOS
dev tools) :)

Cheers - Tony :)

--
Tony Mantler         Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire         eek at escape.ca