Sun / Imprise Announcement: A Blackdown Porter's ViewPoint

Kevin_Hendricks khendricks at admin.ivey.uwo.ca
Wed Dec 8 03:46:56 EST 1999

Hi,

I thought you might like to know that Sun is now officially supporting x86 Linux
and didn't bother to inform their porting partners after using their efforts.
There is no planned support for Sparc, PowerPC, arm, alpha, etc.

Needless to say, the Blackdown porting effort is in serious jeopardy.

My efforts for Java on Linux PowerPC will cease unless Sun makes a "*public*"
change asap.

If you use the JDK and want support to continue (at all for powerpc based
machines) you might want to (politely) express your displeasure with Sun.

Thanks,

Kevin