Update: RE: G4 + Linux + PCI device + x86 driver = 0

David W. Patmore dwp at bluesteelnet.com
Sat Dec 4 10:00:13 EST 1999

I posted a question about getting a PCI device working on LinuxPPC (G4!).
Thanks to those who responded; your assistance made a big difference.  I
finally finished my project, and wanted to post a few dribs that I had to
deal with (that were different from the Linux x86 driver).

1.  I had to enable memory writes (PCI_COMMAND_MEMORY), which was somehow
handled automataically on x86, but not here.
    {
    pci_read_config_word( pDev, PCI_COMMAND, &value );
    value |= PCI_COMMAND_MEMORY;
    pci_write_config_word( pDev, PCI_COMMAND, value );
    }
    For good measure, I also set PCI_COMMAND_MASTER, though I also call
pci_set_master(), which covers the issue.

2.  I had to byte-swap all pointers that I supply to my device.  For
portability, I made a set of macros, "SYS_TO_LE() and LE_TO_SYS(), etc. so
that both endian architectures could work out.

3.  I had to byte-swap all data that I supply to my device, except the data
that is handled as a byte stream.  This involved major discussions with my
colleagues, because of the need to consider Big Endian, Little Endian, and
Network Byte Order.

Now I'm going to put my feet up and take an asprin.  Thanks again for your
help.

David Patmore
www.BlueSteelNet.com