patch for problem with va-ppc.h included with egcs and gcc-2.95.2

Jason Kim jwk2 at eecs.lehigh.edu
Thu Dec 2 16:20:06 EST 1999

Kevin Hendricks wrote:

> If there is any way to change this without beaking backward compatibility with
> pre-compiled shared libs and things, I would vote for it.

Well, xemacs-21.1.8, Mesa-3.0, gcc-2.95.2, xscreensaver-3.21, gle-2.3 and
ssh-2.0.13 all compile and link against the older dynamic libraries, but use the
va_list definition from my patch. All seem to work fine. They were all compiled
from gcc-2.95.2 and binutils-2.95.?? on an otheriwise standard LinuxPPC 1999 Q3
install on my Apple B&W  G3.

It seems that the va_list is more or less isolated from the library interface
issues, as user code that I've seen don't ever pass back va_list to library
code, so having the patch seems to be safe, at least for above packages.

Anybody have any examples of where there IS va_list passage from user code to
existing dynlib code (or vice versa)? I tried a bit, and couldn't find any, and
am thinking that there isn't any. If that is the case, then applying the patch
en-mass
seems harmless way for getting rid of the array based va_list once and for all.

Feedback please.

thanks.

-jason.