Frame buffer / mmap() weirdness

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Wed Dec 1 20:54:04 EST 1999

	Hi,

> > Don't know for mmap(), but it seems the only change to munmap() is
> > to clear the appropriate number of low-order bits in its first argument
> > ( addr & 0xfffff000 for 32-bit machines with 4k page size).
>
> You are right. Since I guess the other mmap()s in the kernel are POSIX
> compliant, I feel silly now.

I probably have missed something but recent 2.3.xx kernels apparently
prohibit performing mmap at non page aligned offsets since
arch/${ARCH}/kernel/somefile.c constains sys_mmap which calls (rather
directly) mm/mmap.c{do_mmap} where

        if (off & ~PAGE_MASK)
                return -EINVAL;

so does Posix the offset value passed to mmap to be restricted  ?

	Gabriel.