2.3.29 - Wallstreet MediaBays

Dan Bethe dan_bethe at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 10:41:59 EST 1999

	I have the same symptom with my Wallstreet 233 MHz
and a pre-built 2.2.10 kernel.  I don't remember where
the kernel came from but it might have been from BenH.
	I seem to remember hot-swapping working just
perfectly fine at some point in the past.  Before this
kernel, I used the "very stable powerbook" kernel
distributed with R5.
	Here are the conditions:

* cdrom works indefinately, even if I pull it out and
reinsert it
* I can remove my cdrom, and insert a floppy drive.
* Once I hot-swap in the floppy drive, the floppy only
works for one operation.  After that, it says
"/dev/fd0: no such device".  I can mount once, or I
can use 'mtools' once.  Then the floppy drive
disappears from sight.
* floppy would have only worked once even when I just
cold booted with it in.
* The instant I remove the floppy drive, the whole
machine instantly powers off.

	I'll be upgrading my kernel with BenH's 2.2.13pb
kernel RSN(tm)!  I know my kernel is old.  I just
thought I'd contribute some keystrokes to the
discussion.

--- Joseph Garcia <jpgarcia at execpc.com> wrote:

> Is anyone else having problems with hot-swapping
> media bays using 2.3.29?  Im
> using Paul's Linuxcare rsync from a few days ago.
>
> Symptom: kernel panic upon hot swapping cdrom drive
> into media bay.
> (wallstreet2-300MHz)

=====
"Don't expect your own messiah; this neverworld which you desire is
only in your mind." -- http://www.dreamtheater.net/songb4.htm#IV5