Communicator Crashes X II

Paul Mackerras paulus at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 31 11:48:26 EST 1999

Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> Perhaps the kernel spends too much time in the interrupt handling section of
> the IDE driver? We saw similar things on m68k.

Or the SCSI code.  I recently converted the mesh and mac53c94 drivers
to use the `new-style' error handling (it didn't take as much hacking
as I had expected).  One result is that the command-done processing in
the scsi mid-layer gets done in a BH handler rather than in an
interrupt handler with interrupts disabled.  I noticed that I got far
fewer serial overruns with the new code during disk activity.

I don't see the FB. overflow messages, but then I don't run the serial
port at 115200, only at 57600.  Is it a common feature that people who
see the FB. overflow message are running the serial port at 115200 or
230400 baud?

Paul.