IBM 850 LinuxPPC installation?

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Sat Aug 28 04:27:25 EST 1999

On  24 Aug, this message from Hollis R Blanchard echoed through cyberspace:
> I've gotten a kernel compiled (and it boots!) with ethernet ("Lance") support.
> It also has IDE disk and cdrom support (which makes installing to a hard disk
> much easier). Unfortunately, I've run into a problem - the kernel hangs on
> Partition check:
>   hda:

I have this exact same problem with _some_ disks on my Promise PCI
adapter. My Maxtor drive works, a 32x CDRom worked as well, but a
Seagate and a Quantum both hung the box. I haven't found the problem;
but it might be related to timings on the interface, so that some disks
might work, and others not.

> Here's the IDE info I get before it hangs:
> hda: DPEA-31080, ATA DISK drive
> hda: IRQ probe failed (0)
> hdb: DSAA-3720, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: IRQ probe failed (0)
> hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
> hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)
> hdc: no response (status = 0xd1), resetting drive
> hdc: no response (status =0x80)

This means the driver is not able to acces the controller for ide1.
That might be a problem with the IO-port addresses.

Also, you might want to try patching your kernel with Andre Hedrick's
multi-platform uniform IDE driver (look at
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/). You _might_
need additional patches to get it to boot; if so, get back to me, and
I'll produce a diff against my working kernel.

Michel