creating EABI stack frames

Michael Meissner meissner at cygnus.com
Tue Aug 24 01:42:11 EST 1999

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 11:12:36AM -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:

> 	Linux/PPC uses SVR4 ABI for PowerPC.  Linux/PPC originally was
> developed using eABI which is a more restrictive variant of SVR4, but it
> has transitioned to standard SVR4.  SVR4 and eABI stacks look identical.

ABI mandates that the stack frame be aligned to a 16 byte boundary, while eABI
mandates an 8 byte boundary.  Other differences include eABi having 2 small
data pointers (r2 and r13), while ABI just has one (r13, r2 is reserved), some
relocs are in eABI and not in ABI (and vica versa).  Finally under eABI, gcc
calls __eabi in main to initialize things.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886