Trying a Promise Ultra/66 on powerpc

Martin Mares mj at ucw.cz
Sun Aug 15 19:39:09 EST 1999

Hi,

> How about fixing this in the kernel's PCI bus structures, by adding any
> required offsets in the pci_fixup() routines? This would make for clean
> inb()/outb() definitions (no offset), and also accomodates multiple I/O
> spaces behind more than one bridge. For instance, on the 7x00, both
> bandit and chaos have I/O space; the one for the PCI cards, the other
> for control (yes, control has an I/O port range! Not sure it serves,
> though...).
>
> Any fixed-offset approach would break with multiple I/O ranges.... Not
> to mention the 9x00 machines (two separate host bridges, each three
> slots), where you can't work around the problem by using hardcoded
> addresses for the known motherboard chips.
>
> I guess this approach could be made to work across the PPC
> architecture, not only on the PMac, as the PPC in general lacks anything
> special about I/O space... after all, those are just small memory
> spaces ;-)

   Looks okay to me.  I think it's what Sparc people are already doing
on Ultra/AX.

   If you can, please wait a few days for me to merge my new PCI stuff
with Linus, it should make these fixups easy as I my current code leaves
control of the resource allocation fully to the arch-dependent code.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <mj at ucw.cz>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"...take my advice, I don't use it anyway."