What is the NIP?

Brian K. Neidig brian.neidig at natinst.com
Sun Aug 15 10:18:01 EST 1999

I've looked throughout the code for a comment describing this, but
couldn't find it.  What is the purpose of the NIP?  I think it is NOT
QUITE the IP, but I don't know what it is supposed to be.  In one place
I saw the NIP being set to the instruction before a branch instruction,
but other things seem to be happening with this variable.

Does it stand for anything?  If I knew that, all may become clearer!
For example, is it New Instruction Pointer?  Or what?

Brian