Trying a Promise Ultra/66 on powerpc

Paul Mackerras paulus at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 10 10:10:54 EST 1999

Michel Lanners <mlan at cpu.lu> wrote:

> I'd vote for making I/O ports a memory addresss like any other, and
> making sure drivers get this address right. See my other post for
> details..

The problem is, there are PCI device drivers which assume you can get
an address in I/O space from a PCI device (either directly from the
config-space base address registers or from the pci_dev struct) and
then just do inb and outb on that port address.  That's why inb/outb
add _IO_BASE to the port number.

One way might be to adjust the base addresses in all the pci_dev
structs and then make sure all drivers use the address from the
pci_dev struct rather than reading config space themselves.

Paul.