Trying a Promise Ultra/66 on powerpc

Tom Rini trini at disparity.net
Tue Aug 10 05:28:07 EST 1999

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Tom Rini <trini at disparity.net> wrote:
>
> > Would this be one of the things solved/cleaned up by seperating ide-pmac.c
> > and the CONFIG option for it into generic enable IDE stuff and a driver
> > for the builtin IDE on some machines?  Last I tried, I needed to enable
> > both cmd646 and ide-pmac on myy blue&white (trying to do this is on my
> > todo list, someplace.. :))
>
> There's no problem about enabling both cmd646 and ide-pmac with the
> current vger sources, is there?  You do need to select experimental
> drivers as well as "Generic PCI IDE chipset support"
> (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI) and "Generic PCI bus-master DMA support"
> (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA) before you get asked about the CMD646, though.

Right, the problem comes from enabling CMD646 but not ide-pmac.  Right now
to use any IDE chipset on a pmac, you need to say yes to "Builtin PowerMac
IDE support" and whichever chipset you have (to boot at least, I'll check
being able to use it once I can boot off something else, but it sounds
like there might be a problem there as well).

---
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/