yet another bug in atyfb.c

Daniel Jacobowitz drow at false.org
Wed Aug 4 02:57:52 EST 1999

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 11:26:39AM -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:

> Wulf> EXPLANATION: atyfb.c - as of Kernel 2.2.10 - uses the following constructs
> Wulf> for accessing little-endian words in Mach32 controller space:
>
> Wulf> asm("lwbrx %0,%1,%2" : "=r"(val) : "r" (regindex), "r" (temp));
>
> Wulf> and
>
> Wulf> asm("stwbrx %0,%1,%2" : : "r" (val), "r" (regindex), "r" (temp) :
> Wulf> "memory");
>
> Wulf> This is meant to access a word at address regindex+temp. If regindex
> Wulf> happens to be held in register r0, the address calculation is off as
> Wulf> r0 is defined as a null operand. This problem shows up with gcc-2.95 which
> Wulf> seems to use better register allocation code and _does_ keep regindex in
> Wulf> r0 at times.
>
> 	The problem is that you are using the wrong register constraints.
> The inlined assembly should look like:
>
> asm("lwbrx %0,%1,%2" : "=r"(val) : "b" (regindex), "r" (temp));
>
> because %1 must be a BASE register (any GPR other than r0) for this use.
> If you use the correct register constraints, GCC register allocation will
> arrange to place the values in the correct class of register.  If you use
> the right register constraints, you do not need to make any other
> modifications.

And congratulations to the both of you, you analyzed that one much more
easily than I did :)  It's been fixed in vger for a while:

revision 1.106.2.1
date: 1999/06/22 06:28:23;  author: paulus;  state: Exp;  lines: +42 -23
Geert's crystal frequency estimation stuff from the 2.3 branch;
fix the constraints on the inline assembly.

However, could someone please move this fix onto the mainline also?

Dan

|         dan at debian.org         |  |       dmj+ at andrew.cmu.edu      |