PATCH: Fix 2 PPC/SYSV varargs problems

Gary Thomas gdt at linuxppc.org
Fri Apr 30 14:49:51 EST 1999

On 30-Apr-99 Zack Weinberg wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 19:48:17 -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
>>On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 02:09:09AM +0200, Franz Sirl wrote:
>>> 1. the varargs save area calculation bug, this is a hack and Richard ;-)
>>> probably won't like it, but maybe it's good enough for egcs-1.2
>>
>>You're right -- I hate it.  You'll have made it so I can't build a
>>ppc cross compiler on my Alphas, and you'll have killed the compiler
>>for a ppc64-linux.
>
> ObDumbQuestion: Is this a bug we really need to fix for 1.2?  It's
> been around for awhile and all the proposed solutions are either dirty
> kludges or too invasive.

It's a serious problem that has caused trouble in the past.  Fixing it
would be very nice, indeed.

However, I provide a patch for the compiler that detects potential
occurrances and print a warning.  At least it's not a slient killer.

Gary Thomas                              |
email: gdt at linuxppc.org                  | "Fine wine is a necessity of
   ... opinions expressed here are mine  |        life for me"
       and no one else would claim them! |