New boot attempts on a MVME2431

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Wed Apr 21 18:30:40 EST 1999

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Simone Piccardi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm still trying to boot LinucPPC on this board. Thanks to new kernel
> images provided by G. Paubert in his site I could obtain some new
> results (not a success but at least this time the boot is going a bit
> further).

Ok, what does the SROM command under PPCBug return. There is a bug in the
setup of these.

You have to type SROM, answer Y to the first question and list all the
values until the the address 0x80. Then around address 0x20, there is
probably a byte which is 0x08 and should be 0x00, but I can't tell you the
exact address without the dump.

> It seems quite strange to me also the message:
> OpenPIC Version ? (2 CPUs and 17 IRQ sources) at d1000000
> Why 2 CPU?

Because the OpenPIC in the Raven and Hawk support up to 2 CPUs. This does
not mean that they are installed however...

> time_init: decrementer frequency = 998700000/60 (15MHz)

This is strange, it should be 25 MHz. I have got timing problems on my
board too... Going to investigate since it seems constant when it should
not.

> My question are:
> Is the way I gave the boot parameter (root=/dev/nfs) right?
> I exported an empty /home/ppc directory on the same PC that I used as
> tftp server, but how the board can recognize just this directory? And
> what files I have to put in this directory?

You have to setup you /etc/bootptab entries and /etc/exports. Don't forget
to set the export as no_root_squash.

	Gabriel.