Current egcs, binutils and kernel (fwd)

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Wed Apr 21 06:43:24 EST 1999

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, David Edelsohn wrote:

> 	The original POWER architecture with the MQ register allowed a
> short sequence to provide this 64-bit functionality.  The PowerPC
> instruction set does not provide the necessary building blocks, so GCC
> falls back to the C implementation in libgcc2.c producing the assembly
> code shown in the later posting.

Yes, but the kernel is not linked with libgcc2. Anyway I've posted a patch
to correctly implement this. And then I've noticed just after that people
do more work than necessary in the cvt_df and cvt_fd routines: floating
point loads and stores never affect or depend on the FPSCR contents, so
there is no point at all in manipulating it (except adding bloat for the
sake of adding bloat).

	Gabriel.