Kernel 2.2.6-ac1 problem

David A. Gatwood marsmail at globegate.utm.edu
Wed Apr 21 01:29:07 EST 1999

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, root wrote:

> I compiled the latest kernel from source and I created vmlinux with no
> problems.  After installing it in my system folder on my mac partition
> and booting linux again, I get I/O errors somewhat randomly.
> The message that is displayed is "No space left on device".  The file
> /var/log/messages conatins the following lines:
>
> Apr 19 23:23:07 localhost kernel: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,4)):
> ext2_new_block: Free blocks count corrupted for block group 13

We've had similar problems with free block corruption under MkLinux
(2.0.37).  This may be a red herring, but I've only noticed the damage on
the last partition mounted.  You might try mounting a bogus partition
after the others and see if it goes away.  Just a wild thought.  Anyway,
the problem began when someone ported some changes from the current
development sources into the 2.0.xx tree, between 2.0.33 and 2.0.36 (the
former was fine, the latter has the problem.  It might be easier to find
in the context of 2.0.xx since many less things were changing....

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood at globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624