grackle, patches, MMU, ...

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Dec 30 22:22:25 EST 1998

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> I finally read the pmac_pci.c file and it looks like my grackle.h file
> (which comes from experiments I made on MacOS some time ago for another
> issue) is absolutely not needed, grackle is just device 0 on bus 0 and
> it's register can be accessed by ordinary pci config accesses. However,
> since I know no easy way of knowing which bridge in the list is actually
> grackle, if we want to add power management support for it in idle.c,
> we'll still have to hard code device 0 / bus 0 and hope it will always be
> this way.

Grackle is the host bridge, right? In that case it's always device 0 / bus 0.

> So we have one free BAT (#1) only on pmac and chrp, but if we plan to
> switch BATs along with process contexts (for mapping fbdevs with BATs for
> example), then we would have all BATs free for user processes. Am I correct ?

Note that we cannot map all frame buffers with BATs since there are less free
BATs than possible frame buffers.

> I was wondering if, instead of using the remaining free BAT to map the
> framebuffer for the kernel (to speed up console), why couldn't we use a
> BAT to map the entire assigned PCI memory space for the kernel ? This
> would speed-up accesses to all devices (including framebuffers). We
> already map the entire mac-io (at least the first one on machines with
> two of them).

I think they do this on SPARC64. And then ioremap() because a simple NULL
operation.

But for user space, we're still stuck with a normal mapping. And there speed is
more important, I think, since most people (R5 installers? :-) run X and don't
use the text console that much.

Greetings,

						Geert

Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be