Cannot boot with 2.1.13x kernels

Keith Jacob kjacob at wantree.com.au
Mon Dec 28 00:31:05 EST 1998

Now that I have BootX working reliably (one more vote for "Best App in
'98"), and confirmation that my setup can produce bootable kernels
(2.1.24 and 2.1.127), I would very much appreciate some feedback on why
2.1.130 from Samba and 2.1.132 (with Tom Rini's patch) from kernel.org
won't boot this 7200/75.

I configured in the BootX early text console code, and get the message at
the top of the screen as expected, but the boot does not proceed.

Since my no-boot probs are definitely post-2.1.127, and compilations take
"a while", it would be nice to get some ideas on what is going wrong
before I try compiling any newer kernels.

Talking completely out of the side of my head, could this be a Platinum
(7200 display) issue? I'm led to this conclusion by the "lucky dip"
experiences I get with 2.1.127: using platinumfb, 832x624 only works at
8bpp, and colours are wrong in 640x480 above 8bpp, with no console
"screen saver" at any res (only the cursor disappears); with BootX's "No
video driver" checked, 832x624 works at "Millions", incl. Xpmac, the
console screen saver works, but graphics performance is a tad slower
(probably to be expected, I guess).

Of note, the pre-compiled 2.1.130 at samba.anu.edu.au/pub/linux-pmac does
not boot either: that is a first for me.

I want to help with the Platinum driver, but need to solve my kernel
probs first, so please send any suggestions.

TIA

--
Keith Jacob
kjacob at wantree.com.au