TCPv4 checksum errors

David S. Miller davem at dm.cobaltmicro.com
Thu Dec 24 18:36:53 EST 1998

   From: Alan Cox <alan at cymru.net>
   Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:58:04 +0000 (GMT)

   The classic bad packet error is a frame that ends up with

   checksum =FFFF end around carry left =1

I challenge you to generate a packet which will create this condition,
it is impossible as far as I have tried....

However, I'm very very interested in being proved wrong.  Because if I
am, then every single checksum implementation in the kernel would need
to be fixed and we should therefore settle this asap.

Instead of tiring one's brain like I did, to find if the case even
exists, better would probably be to put a piece of debugging code
which checked for this condition and printed out a nice message and
dumped the packet contents when triggered.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem at dm.cobaltmicro.com