pre-R5 installation

Frank H. Pierce frank.pierce at hedb.uib.no
Fri Dec 18 19:00:29 EST 1998

Hi. I've installed pre-R5 on a PowerCenterPro by first doing a minimal
install of the R4 release and then installing the R5 rpms by hand. I guess
this is not a good solution but since my old second hd from a centris 610
crashed I thought what the h... It looks like it works fine. Some of the
rpms gave errors about not being able to execute the script but forcing it
with rpm -U --nodeps --force --noscripts I managed to squeeze them in
somehow:->

It boots fine with bootX and my old 2.1.130 kernel from my hd connected to
the Adaptec scsi card. X works with Windowmaker and egcs looks like it
compiles fine (still get seg.faults but that's nothing new for me)

The only problem I have is that imake and therefore xmkmf does not work.
This has given me a problem compiling xpm. If any one has compiled
libXpm.so.* I would love to get the Makefile you used. That might make
Netscape work to?

Frank Holton Pierce
frank.pierce at hedb.uib.no