Restructure of arch/ppc/kernel and include/asm-ppc

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Mon Dec 14 20:54:18 EST 1998

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert at geert.cs.kuleuven.ac.be>
wrote:

>For PPC, we would need different MILO images for the different machine types.
>The kernel can be ELF on all machine types, since we put an ELF loader in
>MILO.
>MILO doesn't need much fancy driver stuff, just SCSI/IDE, floppy,
keyboard and
>a simple console (serial, VGA text, offb). And BootX can become some special
>variant of MILO :-)

This could be a good idea since it would fix a big outstanding issue: The
inability of MacOS VM to lock contiguously enough space for the kernel
and ramdisk in lots of cases (the -622 error most people with virtual
memory ON are experiencing). If the booter was itself a nini-kernel that
takes care of further loading of the real kernel and ramdisk, this issue
would probably disappear.

Another thing that Paul and I are trying to define and implement: A way
to completely boot from a disk image on the HFS volume (and eventually
use this image as the read/write root volume). This would allow
installations of Linux on top of macos without reformatting &
repartitioning the hard disk.

--
           E-Mail: <mailto:bh40 at calva.net>
BenH.      Web   : <http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/>