pre-R5 installation

G. Laurès laures at hp1.esiea.fr
Mon Dec 14 00:57:38 EST 1998

Hi everybody, I mail you all cause I have probs about a pre R5 installation...

The following assumes that I've managed to boot properly the installer,
including second-stage with the 2nd floppy, and t I tried all of this
with 2.1.125 from R4 installation @ dev.linuxppc.org and last 2.1.130
from BenH.

 First I noticed that DHCP configuration for ftp install doesn't work
(it's over a motorola cybersurf cable modem), I got a "SIGCAUGHT" or
whatever when choosing this option, I don't exactly remember.

 Second, ftp installation doesn't work with fixed IP information either
: it doesn't get ns information, or can't log into server with the
correct IP address, it seems that no packets can get out of it. Ping on
it from another machine (my PBG3 with masquerading software) do work
though (???????).

 So I tried an HD install... as said Martin Costabel, I had to put all
the files on an ext2 partition (fine, I had a 2GB hd lying with R4 on it).

 Third, server nor workstation types of install work, they get you into
a loop with SCSI adapters and Macintosh-like partitionned hd stuff and
then on server/workstation/custom rpm choices.

 But here begin strong problems : it complains about around 35 rpm
missing (I guess they are not ready yet, I don't care for now, I would
add some if only I could compile them...), then installs rpms (I choosed
very basic install, keeping all default but PPP-dialup), and then I got
a lot of warning like "execution of XXX script failed". Well, it fails
for initscripts, egcs, binutils, make, egcs, timeconfig, pam/pamconfig :
all that type of non-useful things if you see what I mean...

  Then I got panics during time configuration, just after network conf,
and I have to make a hard reset here.

   Of course it doesn't boot, warning for being unable to open an
initial console and to find init stuff -> kernel panic, you have 180
seconds to type what's on screen...

 Of course I redownloaded twice of all these critical rpms, I got the
same warnings. I'll try a third time tommorrow just to be sure...

  I hope you'll see in there some obvious mistake I'm to tired to see by
myself... Thanks to anybody who could help, I'm really stuck here.

 Gom