framebuffer inconsistencies

Timothy A. Seufert tas at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 11 19:47:30 EST 1998

At 3:42 PM -0700 12/10/98, Brad Midgley wrote:
>there are some inconsistencies and recent problems with having multiple
>video cards with recent kernels. some of the problems might actually be
>driver problems in the ati xclaim vr driver.
>
>1. i used to be able to put consoles on both my monitors using
>video=map:001 (i never tried the userland programs for setting up
>consoles) however now, the fb1 screen only shows the blinking underline
>cursor; no text appears although i can tell by the position of the cursor
>that it is successfully running login on that console
>
>2. the secondary monitor went spiralling into a bad video mode once when i
>changed from console 3 to 6. it never recovered.
>
>3. fbset -s -fb /dev/fb1 doesn't really get the settings for the second
>video/monitor. it returns the settings for fb0.
>
>i've been digging in the kernel to see why (3) is happening.
>
>fb0 is a control-driven nec xv17+
>fb1 is a ati xclaimvr-driven apple 14" fixed-frequency monitor
>
>any pointers?

With two ATI devices in the system, the kernel crashes during boot in
aty_init().  I've been meaning to look into this problem for a long time,
but haven't had a chance to do the things I need to (at this point, I
either need to gain better understanding of how fb works, or get the time
to sit down and trace through aty_init() with xmon to really figure out
what's going on).

Based on (3), perhaps some code reads/writes the wrong fb data structure
when there are multiple fb devices around.

  Tim Seufert