Cross compiling kernels.

Dan Malek dmalek at jlc.net
Fri Dec 11 16:36:12 EST 1998

Mark S. Mathews wrote:

> I'm currently trying to build a cross compiler (hosted on x86) for
> building PPC kernels.....

Has anyone been successful doing this?  I get personal
e-mail almost weekly from people either using gcc 2.x.x.x,
which we all know is incorrect, or having problems building
a cross egcs.  I use only egcs tools natively on LinuxPPC
machines, so I have no suggestions other than that.

> 1) What kernel version is recommended to run the MPC8xx processors?  I've
> seen references to 2.1.129, but I'm not sure.

I found a couple of minor bugs in 2.1.129 when I build it
for the MPC8xx.  Cort said he fixed them in 2.1.130, so
I would start with the latest vger CVS sources.

> 2) What compiler/binutils packages are considered 'best' for this?
> The latest I've tried is binutils-2.9.1 and egcs 1.1b

That's it.

> 3) Is there a recommended kernel release for running with the MPC8xx
> processors?  i.e. on the Moto MBX boards?

The original port was done on the MBX860 board, so that
always seems to work.   I have recently finished some 823/850
stuff and realized the configuration needs lots of work, so
I am doing that right now.  The major changes include
moving most of the CONFIG_MBX to generic CONFIG_8xx,
uart/serial driver configuration, the Ethernet configurable
on any SCC, and boot code changes.  I have one more board
to port next week, and I will dump the changes on Cort :-).

In my spare time I am trying to port the latest USB software
to the 850.  Anyone else interested, let me know.

    -- Dan