Linux-2.1.129 boot on MCP750 <fwd>

Alois Fertl alois_fertl at TalkNet.de
Thu Dec 10 06:45:45 EST 1998

Yes its possible to change the locations where ppcbug loads via the net
via the "niot" command. To my experience this address is only used if
the "network prep mode" is switched off. If you switch this off the
ppcbug
does no longer prepare residual data (use "nbh" and you will see that R3
is zero). No residual data means that the raven is not detected and the
code uses direct access to scan for PCI devices. As this will not work
on the raven and you end up with no PCI at all.
I do not know however which kernel version introduced this method of
detecting the raven via the residual data. If I remember correctly it
was possible to boot at least 2.0.32 with network prep mode switched
off.