AUDIO ON LINUX_PPC

Stanko Juzbasic stanko.juzbasic at zg.tel.hr
Wed Dec 9 22:05:53 EST 1998

Is there anybody who encounterde the following problem?
I'm  constantly running into something that seems like a problem with
sound:
1. SOX plays .wav, .au .snd & .aiff files with gaps, whoch looks to me
 like a disagreement on timing issues between the kernel buffer
 &application buffer. (I've recompiled the kernel a few times).

2. CDs from the internal scd drive play flawlessly.

3. Other utilities (such as Wavplay, rawplay) either don't execute, or
don't
 compile, or don't install or refuse to run without Motif (lesstif)
shared
 libraries such as libXm.so.1 etc, which in turn configure but don't
make,
 and give thousands of warnings, hanging in infinite loops...

My platform:  PCI-PowerMac 7200, PowerPC 601 processor.
System:   LINUX_PPC R4, kernel 2.1.24 (configured as standalone
   workstation)
All drives: SCSI

I'd like to know if this is a known problem and if so, is there any hope

this would be resolved for the next release. I'm not concernerd with
8 kHz - 8 bit - 150:1 compressed system beeps. All I care for is playing

plain 16 bit integer linear format files.