pre-R5&miscs

Jeff Rugen jrugen at primenet.com
Wed Dec 9 03:47:27 EST 1998

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Tom Rini wrote:

> > I tried to run the Xpmac from R4, fixed by fix961212, but it dies saying it
> > cannot define the default font path and doesn't find the font 'fixed'. But
> > this is exactly the same font path that Xpmac from pre-R5 finds without
> > problems. Weird.
>
> Nope, expected.  There's some oddity with X servers and X11R6<->XFree86 it
> seems.  I -think-.  Might just be problems trying to read the fonts of
> course..

I think the X11R6 servers can't decompress the gzipped (.gz) fonts, but they
can decompress compressed (.Z) fonts.  I remember having this problem some
time about with X11R6 and the XFree fonts.

On a side note, I've rebuilt the Xbh server in the XFree86 Servers heirarchy
and it seems to be running ok (though I added the power management function
from XFree and haven't tested it yet).  This runs with the XFree86 3.3.3
distribution (glibc1.99 only -- I don't have the hard drive space to upgrade
as of yet).  In addition, I changed it to open /dev/tty0 instead of
/dev/console so it works with the later 2.1.X kernels, _and_ it has some
tweaks for 32-bit color to work (but there's a lot of flicker when text
scrolls so I don't know if I have the timing values right -- no bitblt at
that depth).

I haven't talked to Chris Nadig (hope I have the name right -- going from
memory) recently -- he did most of the Xbh stuff originally -- so most of
these tweaks are probably only in my code.  I'll make the server available
if people want it, though I don't know a place to put it yet.

In addition, I've been playing with the Xfree86 mono server just to learn
Xfee86 stuff, and as a break (as if I've been playing with it enough to need
a break) from the clgen framebuffer code.  With my luck I'll have the mono
server working first.  Anyway -- about clgen, I have it so I can boot with
that framebuffer enabled, but I can't open a virtual terminal with it (but
remotely logging in I can change the screenmode with fbmode (or whatever
that program was called).  haven't looked into it recently, but I hope to
have more time now.  When trying to install the framebuffer as a module, I
get kernel panics, but I'm wondering if its because I'm trying to send debug
output (printk) to a non-initialized console.

Any comments on the above appreciated.

Jeff Rugen                      jrugen at primenet.com

..Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you
would not have been informed.