Linux on MCP750 (Report of a Full sucess, meritorious thanks and instructions (long))

VALETTE Eric valette at crf.canon.fr
Tue Dec 8 21:30:14 EST 1998

>>>>> "Jim" == Jim Somerville <Jim.Somerville.somer at nt.com> writes:

Jim> Eric,

Hi Jim,

I have cross posted to LINUX PPC mailling list because some of the things I want to
say may interest others. Yesterday was a *very* good day as I finally got things
working.

The first things to say is that nothing would have been possible without the help of
Cort, Gabriel, Alois, Corey, and Marc. I did very little compared to what thoses
guys have done => congratulation and thanks to you all.

Jim> I saw your discussion around the Raven, and was wondering if you can shed any
Jim> light on running Linux on the MCP750.  Will the kernel boot?  If so, then
Jim> what kernel version do you recommend? Is there any functionality missing?

As the post is long you may go directly to <=========

  1)  LINUX works on MCP750 even without SCSI disks,
  2) I hope I will manage to give something more presentable than the current
  horrible kludge I did, back to the development of Linux on PCC.
  3) I have ramdisk image, bootable things and so on but unfortunately <========
  no public ftp site (company paranoid security rules). So If you want something
  mail me. If someone has an address to put things it is also possible,
  4) I do not want to enter a distribution battle but I run debian 2.1 which is already
  a GNU libc 2.1 and available (once you know the ftp site)
  5) I mailed the utils-linux maintainer and he will deliver a new   <=============
  version (2.9f) of cfdisk that should support PPC this week or next week.
  I will test it so if someone has patches that he wants to be included => mail me...
  I saw patch in SRPM form for 2.8.5b but was unable to get rpm working on it :(

More details :

---------------------------- Debian GNU Linux on MCP750 banner ---------

Debian GNU/Linux slink ppc2target ttyS0 <====================

ppc2target login: root
Password:
Linux ppc2target 2.1.129 #112 Mon Dec 7 20:42:22 CET 1998 ppc unknown

Copyright (C) 1993-1998 Software in the Public Interest, and others

Most of the programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are
freely redistributable; the exact distribution terms for each program
are described in the individual files in /usr/doc/*/copyright

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Mon Dec  7 22:06:29 on ttyS0.
No mail.
ppc2target:~# uname -a
Linux ppc2target 2.1.129 #112 Mon Dec 7 20:42:22 CET 1998 ppc unknown
------------------------------ IDE configuration ------------------------------
(prompt) mount:

/dev/hdc1 on / type ext2 (rw)  <===============IDE DISK WORKS
none on /proc type proc (rw)

Note : I need to wait for cfdisk to create extended linux partitions....
----
------------------------- Report on kernel configuration ----------------------
(prompt) dmesg
dmesg
Total memory = 64MB; using 256kB for hash table (at c0200000)
Linux version 2.1.129 (root at ppc1target.crf.canon.fr) (gcc version egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release)) #112 Mon Dec 7 20:42:22 CET 1998
Boot arguments: 'serial console=ttyS0,9600n8 root=/dev/hdc1'	  <==============
time_init: decrementer frequency = 998700000/60 (15MHz)
Calibrating delay loop... 465.31 BogoMIPS
Memory: 62636k available (1172k kernel code, 1624k data, 104k init) [c0000000,c4000000]
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
 Motherboard_map_name = Motorola MCP750				  <================
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039 for Linux 2.1
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.16 for Linux NET3.038.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.037
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
Starting kswapd v 1.5
initialize_kbd: Keyboard reset failed, no ACK
Serial driver version 4.26 with<4>keyboard: Too many NACKs -- noisy kbd cable?
keyboard: Too many NACKs -- noisy kbd cable?
 no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
RAM disk driver initialized:  2 RAM disks of 8192K size		  <============= (needed to increase)
loop: registered device at major 7
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 59
VP_IDE: 100% native mode on irq 15
Original programming interface value : 8f
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffc0-0xffc7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide0: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success
Original programming interface value : 8f
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffc8-0xffcf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
ide1: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success
hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALL SE4.3A, ATA DISK drive
ide1 at 0xffe0-0xffe7,0xffde on irq 15				<================
hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALL SE4.3A, 4110MB w/80kB Cache, CHS=14848/9/63
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 2.88M
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
linear personality registered
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
PPP: version 2.3.3 (demand dialling)
TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP line discipline registered.
eth0: DC21140 at 0xfffff00 (PCI bus 0, device 14), h/w address 08:00:3e:26:d0:1d,
eth0: Using generic MII device control. If the board doesn't operate,
please mail the following dump to the author:

MII device address: 1
MII CR:  3000
MII SR:  7809
MII ID0: 2a8
MII ID1: 150
MII ANA: 1e1
MII ANC: 0
MII 16:  0
MII 17:  0
MII 18:  1

      and requires IRQ10 (provided by PCI BIOS).
de4x5.c:V0.542 1998/9/15 davies at maniac.ultranet.com
Partition check:
 hdc:hdc: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
 hdc1 hdc2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 104k init 4k pmac 4k open firmware
Adding Swap: 130684k swap-space (priority -1)
eth0: media is TP.

Jim> Any experiences you can share with me would be appreciated.  I would like to
Jim> run Chorus on it, but we may be waiting quite a while for them to have it
Jim> available.  In the meantime, if I can get Linux on it then I can make progress.

I ported Chorus on MCP750 also and have patch available on demand...
Note I already reported this patch to Chorus so they should be able to
gave something more "supported" than what I did as I just did hack the
MVME2700 code...

Jim> PS.  Did you work for Chorus?

7 years :)

--  eric