[LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Image-based read-only filesystem: further use cases & directions

Xin Yin yinxin.x at bytedance.com
Thu Feb 23 21:38:16 AEDT 2023

On 2023/1/9 16:43, Gao Xiang wrote:
> [...]
>
> The reasons why we always do believe immutable images can benefit
> various use cases are:
>
>   - much easier for all vendors to ship/distribute/keep original signing
>     (golden) images to each instance;
>
>   - (combined with the writable layer such as overlayfs) easy to roll
>     back to the original shipped state or do incremental updates;
>
>   - easy to check data corruption or do data recovery (no matter
>     whether physical device or network errors);
>
>   - easy for real storage devices to do hardware write-protection for
>     immutable images;
>
>   - can do various offline algorithms (such as reduced metadata,
>     content-defined rolling hash deduplication, compression) to minimize
>     image sizes;
>
>   - initrd with FSDAX to avoid double caching with advantages above;
>
>   - and more.
>
> In 2019, a LSF/MM/BPF topic was put forward to show EROFS initial use
> cases [1] as the read-only Android rootfs of a single instance on
> resource-limited devices so that effective compression became quite
> important at that time.
>

> * Problem *
>
> In addition to enhance data compression for single-instance deployment,
> as a self-contained approach (so that all use cases can share the only
> _one_ signed image), we've also focusing on multiple instances (such as
> containers or apps, each image represents a complete filesystem tree)
> all together on one device with similar data recently years so that
> effective data deduplication, on-demand lazy pulling, page cache
> sharing among such different golden images became vital as well.
>

> * Current progresses *
>
> In order to resolve the challenges above, we've worked out:
>
>   - (v5.15) chunk-based inodes (to form inode extents) to do data
>     deduplication among a single image;
>
>   - (v5.16) multiple shared blobs (to keep content-defined data) in
>     addition to the primary blob (to keep filesystem metadata) for wider
>     deduplication across different images:
>
>   - (v5.19) file-based distribution by introducing in-kernel local
>     caching fscache and on-demand lazy pulling feature [2];
>
>   - (v6.1) shared domain to share such multiple shared blobs in
>     fscache mode [3];
>
>   - [RFC] preliminary page cache sharing between diffenent images [4].
>

> * Potential topics to discuss *
>
>   - data verification of different images with thousands (or more)
>     shared blobs [5];
>
>   - encryption with per-extent keys for confidential containers [5][6];
>
>   - current page cache sharing limitation due to mm reserve mapping and
>     finer (folio or page-based) page cache sharing among images/blobs
>     [4][7];
>
>   - more effective in-kernel local caching features for fscache such as
>     failover and daemonless;
>
>   - (wild preliminary ideas, maybe) overlayfs partial copy-up with
>     fscache as the upper layer in order to form a unique caching

We also interested in these topic, page cache sharing is an exciting feature, and may can save
a lot of memory in high-density deployment scenarios, cause we already can share blobs.

Hope to have further discussion on the failover, mutiple daemons/dirs and daemonless feature of fscache & cachefiles.
So we can have a better form for our production.

And Looking forward to the opportunity to discuss online, if I can't attend offline.

Thanks,
Xin Yin

--
2.25.1