futher decouple DAX from block devices

Dan Williams dan.j.williams at intel.com
Sat Oct 30 02:42:29 AEDT 2021

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 4:52 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 13:46:31 -0700 Dan Williams <dan.j.williams at intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > My merge resolution is here [1]. Christoph, please have a look. The
> > rebase and the merge result are both passing my test and I'm now going
> > to review the individual patches. However, while I do that and collect
> > acks from DM and EROFS folks, I want to give Stephen a heads up that
> > this is coming. Primarily I want to see if someone sees a better
> > strategy to merge this, please let me know, but if not I plan to walk
> > Stephen and Linus through the resolution.
>
> It doesn't look to bad to me (however it is a bit late in the cycle :-(
> ).  Once you are happy, just put it in your tree (some of the conflicts
> are against the current -rc3 based version of your tree anyway) and I
> will cope with it on Monday.

Christoph, Darrick, Shiyang,

I'm losing my nerve to try to jam this into v5.16 this late in the
cycle. I do want to get dax+reflink squared away as soon as possible,
but that looks like something that needs to build on top of a
v5.16-rc1 at this point. If Linus does a -rc8 then maybe it would have
enough soak time, but otherwise I want to take the time to collect the
acks and queue up some more follow-on cleanups to prepare for
block-less-dax.