Question about mkfs.erofs and reproducible builds

Todor Ivanov t.i.ivanov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:11:24 AEDT 2021

        Hello,

        We are trying to replace squashfs with erofs and face an issue with
reproducing the build from one and the same source folder. The source
folder is "/etc" actually taken from an offline ubuntu 20.04 image and
mounted as read-only.
        I managed to narrow down the scope and it turns out that the issue
is when you have a file starting with "." (dot) in this folder. I.e.:

etc/.anyfilename

If I remove this file the erofs image of "etc" is reproducible (-T and -U
are used as well)

The issue is somehow related to the other 76 subfolders of etc and this
file starting with dot. For example if I create such .anyfilename in usr or
var, there is no issue. Also if I create this file under
etc/xdg/.anyfilename, this is fine as well.
I also tried with etc from debian10 and the result is the same. Removing
any file that starts with dot directly under etc, makes the erofs build
reproducible.
Do you have any advice on this?

Regards,
Todor