Readahead for compressed data

Qu Wenruo quwenruo.btrfs at gmx.com
Fri Oct 22 21:40:02 AEDT 2021

On 2021/10/22 17:54, Gao Xiang wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 05:39:29PM +0800, Gao Xiang wrote:
>> Hi Qu,

>>> There is another problem for btrfs (and maybe other fses).
>>>
>>> Btrfs can refer to part of the uncompressed data extent.
>>>
>>> Thus we could have the following cases:
>>>
>>> 	0	4K	8K	12K
>>> 	|	|	|	|
>>> 		    |	    \- 4K of an 128K compressed extent,
>>> 		    |		compressed size is 16K
>>> 		    \- 4K of an 64K compressed extent,
>>> 			compressed size is 8K
>>
>> Thanks for this, but the diagram is broken on my side.
>> Could you help fix this?
>
> Ok, I understand it. I think here is really a strategy problem
> out of CoW, since only 2*4K is needed, you could
>   1) cache the whole compressed extent and hope they can be accessed
>      later, so no I/O later at all;
>   2) don't cache such incomplete compressed extents;
>   3) add some trace record and do some finer strategy.

Yeah, this should be determined by each fs, like whether they want to
cache compressed extent at all, and at which condition to cache
compressed extent.

(e.g. for btrfs, if we find the range we want is even smaller than the
compressed size, we can skip such cache)

Thus I don't think there would be a silver bullet for such case.

>>> In above case, we really only need 8K for page cache, but if we're
>>> caching the compressed extent, it will take extra 24K.
>>
>> Apart from that, with my wild guess, could we cache whatever the
>> real I/O is rather than the whole compressed extent unconditionally?
>> If the whole compressed extent is needed then, we could check if
>> it's all available in cache, or read the rest instead?
>>
>> Also, I think no need to cache uncompressed COW data...

Yeah, that's definitely the case, as page cache is already doing the
work for us.

Thanks,
Qu