Support for uncompressed sparse files.

Gao Xiang hsiangkao at aol.com
Mon Nov 25 06:10:02 AEDT 2019

Hi Pratik,

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 12:00:28AM +0530, Pratik Shinde wrote:
> Hi Gao,
>
> In the current design, for uncompressed files, we only maintain the
> starting block address.because rest of the data blocks will follow it
> (continuous allocation).
> For sparse files we have to do following
> 1) We don't want to allocate space for holes (Holes will be multiple of
> EROFS_BLKSZ ?)
> 2) For read() operation on holes, return null data  = '\0'.
>
> I have few thoughts about it:
> 1) Without changing the current design much, we want to keep track of holes
> in file.
>     e.g maintaining some table OR bitmap(per inode), to check if given
> offset falls inside hole or real data.
> 2) Accordingly changing the readpage() aop.
>
> Let me know you thoughts on this.

I think it's roughly correct. Assume that holes aren't greatly fragmented,
I think it's useful to introduce extent table format rather than
some bitmap for sparse inodes.

Maybe we can start off with RFC PATCH of sparse files for mkfs, and thus
we can have common sense with on-disk format as well.

Thanks,
Gao Xiang