[v2 3/3] hwmon: Add Aspeed ast2600 TACH support

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Thu Nov 3 04:01:38 AEDT 2022

On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 06:54:43AM +0000, Billy Tsai wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> On 2022/11/1, 9:15 PM, "Guenter Roeck" <groeck7 at gmail.com on behalf of linux at roeck-us.net> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 05:51:56PM +0800, Billy Tsai wrote:
>     > > +
>     > > +	/* Restart the Tach channel to guarantee the value is fresh */
>     > > +	aspeed_tach_ch_enable(priv, fan_tach_ch, false);
>     > > +	aspeed_tach_ch_enable(priv, fan_tach_ch, true);
>
>     > Is that really needed ? Doesn't the controller measure values continuously ?
>
> Yes, the controller will measure values continuously by hardware. I will remove it.
> If the user want to get the fresh value, it should be done by the application layer
> (e.g. read two times).
>
>     > > +
>     > > +	if (ret) {
>     > > +		/* return 0 if we didn't get an answer because of timeout*/
>     > > +		if (ret == -ETIMEDOUT)
>     > > +			return 0;
>     > > +		else
>     > > +			return ret;
>
>     > else after return is unnecessary, and why would a timeout be be ignored ?
>
> When the user sets the correct fan information (i.e., min_rpm, max_rpm), the read
> poll timeout will only occur if the tach pin does not get any signal (i.e. rpm=0).

In that case it would be appropriate to return -ETIMEDOUT to the caller.

Anyway, that should really not happen. Sysfs attributes such as minimum/maximum fan
speed, the number of fan pulses per revolution, or a divider value should only exist
if the chip needs that information, for example to report a fan error/alarm if the
measured speed is out of range or if the chip actually calculates RPM and provides
the result to the driver. Those values should not be necessary (and should not be
used) to calculate some timeout.

>     > > +	}
>     > > +
>     > > +	raw_data = val & TACH_ASPEED_VALUE_MASK;
>     > > +	/*
>     > > +	 * We need the mode to determine if the raw_data is double (from
>     > > +	 * counting both edges).
>     > > +	 */
>     > > +	if (priv->tach_channel[fan_tach_ch].tach_edge == BOTH_EDGES)
>     > > +		raw_data <<= 1;
>     > > +
>     > > +	tach_div = raw_data * (priv->tach_channel[fan_tach_ch].divisor) *
>     > > +		   (priv->tach_channel[fan_tach_ch].pulse_pr);
>     > > +
>     > > +	clk_source = clk_get_rate(priv->clk);
>     > > +	dev_dbg(priv->dev, "clk %ld, raw_data %d , tach_div %d\n", clk_source,
>     > > +		raw_data, tach_div);
>     > > +
>     > > +	if (tach_div == 0)
>     > > +		return -EDOM;
>
>     > If the fan is off or not connected, would that return an error ?
>     > If so, that would be inappropriate; it should return a speed
>     > of 0 in that case.
>
> It will be handled by the regmap_read_poll_timeout.

This would only happen if raw_data is 0, or if any of
priv->tach_channel[fan_tach_ch].divisor or priv->tach_channel[fan_tach_ch].pulse_pr
are 0. The latter should never happen, leaving raw_data. If that is 0, I would assume
that there was no fan pulse. That would indicate that the fan isn't running (or maybe
that no fan is connected). Either case that would not warrant returning -EDOM.
If the fan isn't running (no pulse was reported), the reported fan speed should be 0.
If that is an error, the fanX_alarm (or, if available, fanX_min_alarm) should report 1.
Reading the fan speed should never return an error to the caller unless there was
an actual error when reading the value from the hardware.

Thanks,
Guenter