[v13 2/2] pwm: Add Aspeed ast2600 PWM support

Philipp Zabel p.zabel at pengutronix.de
Wed Dec 1 20:11:42 AEDT 2021

Hi Billy,

On Wed, 2021-12-01 at 03:30 +0000, Billy Tsai wrote:
> Hi Philipp,
>
> On 2021/11/30, 5:52 PM, "Philipp Zabel" <p.zabel at pengutronix.de> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 2021-11-29 at 14:43 +0800, Billy Tsai wrote:
>     [...]
>     >   > +	ret = clk_prepare_enable(priv->clk);
>     >   > +	if (ret)
>     >   > +		return dev_err_probe(dev, ret, "Couldn't enable clock\n");
>     >   > +
>     >   > +	ret = reset_control_deassert(priv->reset);
>     >   > +	if (ret) {
>     >   > +		dev_err_probe(dev, ret, "Couldn't deassert reset control\n");
>     >   > +		goto err_disable_clk;
>     >   > +	}
>
>     >   Is there any reason to keep the clocks running and the controller out of
>     >   reset while the PWM outputs are disabled?
>
> Can you tell me about your concerns with this process?

No particular concerns, just curiosity.

> In my opinion, they are used to provide the clock and de-assert the reset of the PWM engine. If we didn't release
> them in probe stage the CPU can't and shouldn't read the register of the PWM engine when call the get_state.
> Assume that we want to adjust them dynamically, the driver needs to add more conditions to check and keep the status
> of each PWM channel, which is not a good deal for the server platform.

Thanks. I don't know the hardware, so I have no idea whether disabling
the clocks would even save a measurable (let alone appreciable) amount
of power.

I've just seen other PWM drivers use runtime PM or enable/disable clocks
dynamically, and wondered why this one doesn't.

regards
Philipp