[Lguest] Virtio block problems on newer kernels

Sakari Ailus sakari.ailus at iki.fi
Mon Apr 7 18:33:23 EST 2014

Sakari Ailus wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 03:31:33AM +0200, Sakari Ailus wrote:
>> I haven't had time to debug this further and bisecting will be
>> painful as this isn't that easy to reproduce: I first noticed after
>> running 3.13.6 for a day but first thought it was a network issue.
>> The problem appeared between the two above versions (3.10.10 and
>> 3.13.6).
>
> Oops --- after having the problem awhile and then sending the e-mail to the
> list, I now realise I'm using a launcher which is quite old. I'll replace
> that with a newer one and see if that fixes the issues.

So I did that. No luck.

It seems that virtio block devices can just get stuck. The (guest) processes
that try to access them will stay in uninterruptible sleep, sometimes for
minutes, sometimes apparently forever. The appears to be per-virtio block
device issue when it happens. The host lguest processes are simply in sleep
state.

Host kernel version does not matter but that of the guest does. 3.14.0 seems
to be affected, too. 3.12.0 works.

I'll try to bisect and see what I can find.

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus at iki.fi