[Lguest] [Xen-devel] Is: paravirt docs and diet. Was:Re: lguest: unhandled trap 13 and CONFIG_MICROCODE_INTEL_EARLY

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk konrad.wilk at oracle.com
Tue May 14 06:11:25 EST 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:07:10AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> More of a time target... even if far out.

The PVH (which is what Mukesh CC-ed here) not yet in the hypervisor
(even as an experiemental case). When that is in, and it works with
the base test-cases (launching guests, migration, etc) that would
start the clock.

We chatted about this last year at the Xen Developer meeting to
make sure we all are comfortable with this and also with the time
target. Which if I recall correctly was +5 years from the start of
the the base test-cases working and the PVH feature turned from
experimental to working.

Just to iterate, this would mean that a lot of paravirt MMU parts
would not been needed anymore.

Please note that 'killing PV' is a bit of broad word. The PV
(paravirtualization) of say drivers - so that we don't use emulated
drivers, or use faster IPIs, or what not - would not be eliminated.

This is just about paravirt ops reduction.