[Lguest] virtqueue kick always necessary?

Earlence Fernandes earlenceferns at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 13:22:48 EST 2013

suppose I allocate 10  buffers in the guest and kick them to the host.

the host caches the buffers on reception of the kick, and then uses
them one by one. when all are used up, it just cycles back to the first
and uses it again. I've noticed this works in practice.

So I want to confirm, a kick is not always necessary right? My
understanding is
that its only needed as a notification mechanism of (new) buffer
availability
and possibly new data in the buffers to be acted upon. The kick is not
necessary to creating the availability of buffers in the host once they are
used.

correct me if I'm wrong.

-Earlence