[Lguest] Loading Lguest guest - Unhandled trap 256 at x100000

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Mon Apr 29 10:18:15 EST 2013

Naman Muley <naman.g.muley at gmail.com> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I am a virtualization newbie and I was working on a project, trying to run
> lguest. I went through the steps mentioned by rusty over here:
> http://lguest.ozlabs.org/lguest.txt
>
> Following are some of the things i think I should mention:
>
> 1. I'm running on virtualbox. I used a ubuntu 12.04 with 3.5.0 kernel to
> recompile a 3.2.39 kernel, booted with the new kernel. (so, basically i'm
> already on 2 layers of virtualization).
>
> When I run:
> root at ngm7-Vbox:usr/src/linux-source-3.2.0#Documentation/virtual/lguest/lguest
> 64 vmlinux --tunnet=192.168.19.1 --block=/home/ngm7/initrd-1.1-i386.img
> root=/dev/vda
>
> i get the following error immediately:
> lguest: unhandled trap 256 at 0x100000 (0x82)

OK, this looks like something went badly wrong when we first tried
running the guest.  In fact, it's unlikely to be a guest problem: 256 is
what happens when the switcher itself faults.

I've never run lguest under virtualbox, so I wonder if it's doing
something weird.  lguest is a bit odd, maybe Ring1 isn't supported by
virtualbox?

Sorry I can't be more specific,
Rusty.