[Lguest] [RFC/PATCH 0/1] lguest: Ignore non-fatal errors

Sakari Ailus sakari.ailus at iki.fi
Mon Jun 27 02:36:33 EST 2011

Hi,

I've seen a bunch of cases where the guest just disappears and I see
kernel messages such as the one in the associated patch. The reasons for
these are allocation failures (at least in my case) and they are quite
sporadic. The guests may stay up for three months and then run into one.

I guess ignoring these errors is the best way to treat them. The patch
still prints a warning message when one happens but makes the lguest
process not to exit as a consequence.

The reason I'm sending this as an RFC is: should all kinds of
non-succesful results considered warnings in these cases, or should some
still be considered as errors? Should also other than the obvious errors
in system calls be treated as warnings only? All errors that have caused
the guest to quit I've seen so far are from writev() in net_output().

I think I'm probably getting at least ENOBUFS (from
sock_alloc_send_pskb) but I still need to check that. The patch I've
been testing didn't print the error numbers until very recently.

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus at iki.fi