[Lguest] RFT: virtio_net: limit xmit polling

Roopa Prabhu roprabhu at cisco.com
Fri Jul 15 05:38:05 EST 2011

On 6/29/11 1:42 AM, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:08:07AM -0500, Tom Lendacky wrote:
>> On Sunday, June 19, 2011 05:27:00 AM Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>>> OK, different people seem to test different trees.  In the hope to get
>>> everyone on the same page, I created several variants of this patch so
>>> they can be compared. Whoever's interested, please check out the
>>> following, and tell me how these compare:
>>>
>>> kernel:
>>>
>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mst/vhost.git
>>>
>>> virtio-net-limit-xmit-polling/base - this is net-next baseline to test
>>> against virtio-net-limit-xmit-polling/v0 - fixes checks on out of capacity
>>> virtio-net-limit-xmit-polling/v1 - previous revision of the patch
>>>             this does xmit,free,xmit,2*free,free
>>> virtio-net-limit-xmit-polling/v2 - new revision of the patch
>>>             this does free,xmit,2*free,free
>>>

>> Here's a summary of the results.  I've also attached an ODS format
>> spreadsheet
>> (30 KB in size) that might be easier to analyze and also has some pinned VM
>> results data.  I broke the tests down into a local guest-to-guest scenario
>> and a remote host-to-guest scenario.
>>
>> Within the local guest-to-guest scenario I ran:
>>   - TCP_RR tests using two different messsage sizes and four different
>>     instance counts among 1 pair of VMs and 2 pairs of VMs.
>>   - TCP_STREAM tests using four different message sizes and two different
>>     instance counts among 1 pair of VMs and 2 pairs of VMs.
>>
>> Within the remote host-to-guest scenario I ran:
>>   - TCP_RR tests using two different messsage sizes and four different
>>     instance counts to 1 VM and 4 VMs.
>>   - TCP_STREAM and TCP_MAERTS tests using four different message sizes and
>>     two different instance counts to 1 VM and 4 VMs.
>> over a 10GbE link.
>
> roprabhu, Tom,
>
> Thanks very much for the testing. So on the first glance
> one seems to see a significant performance gain in V0 here,
> and a slightly less significant in V2, with V1
> being worse than base. But I'm afraid that's not the
> whole story, and we'll need to work some more to
> know what really goes on, please see below.
>

> Some comments on the results: I found out that V0 because of mistake
> on my part was actually almost identical to base.
> I pushed out virtio-net-limit-xmit-polling/v1a instead that
> actually does what I intended to check. However,
> the fact we get such a huge distribution in the results by Tom
> most likely means that the noise factor is very large.
>

> From my experience one way to get stable results is to
> divide the throughput by the host CPU utilization
> (measured by something like mpstat).
> Sometimes throughput doesn't increase (e.g. guest-host)
> by CPU utilization does decrease. So it's interesting.
>

> Another issue is that we are trying to improve the latency
> of a busy queue here. However STREAM/MAERTS tests ignore the latency
> (more or less) while TCP_RR by default runs a single packet per queue.
> [...]
Michael, below are some numbers I got from one round of runs.
Thanks,
Roopa

256byte req/response.
Vcpus and irqs were pinned to 4 cores and the cpu utilization is
Avg across 4 cores.

base:
Numof concurrent TCP_RRs    Num of transactions/sec  host cpu-util(%)
1                            7982.93                        15.72
25                           67873                         28.84
50                           112534                        52.25
100                          192057                       86.54

v1
Numof concurrent TCP_RRs    Num of transactions/sec    host cpu-util(%)
1                           7970.94                       10.8
25                          65496.8                       28
50                          109858                        53.22
100                         190155                        87.5

v1a
Numof concurrent TCP_RRs    Num of transactions/sec   host cpu-util (%)
1                           7979.81                       9.5
25                          66786.1                       28
50                          109552                        51
100                         190876                        88

v2
Numof concurrent TCP_RRs    Num of transactions/sec   host cpu-util (%)
1                            7969.87                     16.5
25                           67780.1                     28.44
50                           114966                      54.29
100                          177982                      79.9