[Lguest] /dev/vda

Gaurav Kukreja mailme.gaurav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 18:01:49 EST 2010

Hi,

I am not so sure about the /dev/hvc0 console that you are talking about.

/dev/vda you wont find in the host. This is the mount point inside the
guest. I wonder why lguest requires you to even pass that as a parameter.
You dont have to create a /dev/vda. This will exist inside the guest when it
boots up, and this is where the root disk will be mounted.

I guess the /dev/vda is basically in the initramdisk. I am only guessing and
stating in case you can make better sense out of my guess. The initramdisk
is a pseudo filesystem that remains in the RAM, which is why "RAMDISK". It
has these mount points where the root filesystem, devices node, procfs, and
tempfs are mounted on. /dev/vda is a mount point in the ramdisk where the
virtual root disk for the guest OS will be mounted.

I am no angel, neither an expert... I have done a project on Lguest once.

Regards,

--
Gaurav Kukreja

+91 997 030 1257