[Lguest] /dev/vda

Gaurav Kukreja mailme.gaurav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 21:36:23 EST 2010

Hi Eugene,

So basically what you are looking for is how to create a root disk.

AFAIK /dev/vda is where the guest is supposed to look for the root disk.
This is where the rootdisk created by you will be mounted. Someone please
clarify.

Now for creating a rootdisk, this is the method I used. Create a pseudo
block device of size 2 GB or how much you need. Format this disk with ext3
filesystem. Download a root disk from the link mentioned in lguest.txt.
Mount the two pseudo disks. Copy the contents from the downloaded root disk
to the pseudo disk created by you. This will contain most importantly the
console.

Pass this pseudo disk as the rootdisk while booting the guest with lguest.

Inside the guest, /dev/vda is where this disk is going to be mounted.

Have fun with Lguest. I hope I have helped.

Regards,

2010/11/7 Eugene Kov <mshina at hotmail.com>

>  Hi all,
>
> I'm new to lguest and I'm trying to launch a guest for the first time. I
> followed the instructions on "lguest.txt" but it is not mentioned there how
> to create /dev/vda.  I want my disk image to be a file because I don't have
> an available primary partition. A search on the web haven't help me...
> Sorry if the question is stupid but I'm new to the virtualization world.
>
> Thank you very much
>
> Eugene

Gaurav Kukreja

+91 997 030 1257