[Lguest] lguest behaviour

Tiago Maluta maluta_tiago at yahoo.com.br
Wed Oct 22 05:51:29 EST 2008

In the last few weeks I tried some versions of Linux on lguest and noted
a particularly behavior on my machine so I'd like to ask few questions
about lguest.

Basically I'm using the following configuration for lguest in my .config
file:

CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y
CONFIG_LGUEST_GUEST=y
CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=n
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_ALIGN=0x100000
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=m
CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=m
CONFIG_TUN=m
CONFIG_LGUEST=m

I'm tried some variations too, for example.

CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=y
CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=y

The following example from lguest.txt (Documentation) sometimes works
and sometimes doesn't work...

~#Documentation/lguest/lguest --tunnet=192.168.19.1
--block=/root/initrd-1.1-i386.img 64 vmlinux root=/dev/vda
(...)
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
NET: Registered protocol family 17
RPC: Registered udp transport module.
RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
Using IPI No-Shortcut mode
VFS: Cannot open root device "vda" or unknown-block(254,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
fe00       3560 vda driver: virtio_blk
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(254,0)
lguest: CRASH: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(254,0)

As in other thread when I asket about lguest + nfs I got the same results...

I'd like to know:

1) Is module virtio_blk responsible to create /dev/vda?
2) if yes, must I compile as built-in?
3) I missed some .config option, I think sometimes that I missed some
important option about memory alignment, etc...

All this tests were performed on kernel #2.6.26.3.

Best Regards,
Tiago Maluta