[Lguest] booting a kernel with initramfs

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Thu Oct 16 22:04:33 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 21:13 -0700, Tiago Maluta wrote:
> --- Em qua, 15/10/08, Paul Bolle <pebolle at tiscali.nl> escreveu:
> > Have you tried adding "--initrd=<filename>"
> > to this command?
> >
> No, but initramfs it's a new approach to initrd (they are encapsulated
> in vmlinux at compile time)

I can't remember ever having used one of those. I'm only familiar with
External initramfs images (for details see
Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt too). These are
often also refered to as "initrd" (which I find confusing).

> and not need initrd= parameter.

External initramfs images can be loaded by the lguest example launch
application with the --initrd option.

For what it's worth, in your case (which I'm not familiar with) I'd try
things like:
- use the kernel with the built-in initramfs image for a regular (non
virtual) boot;
- add some "sleep" to the init script in the initramfs image (maybe the
echo can not be seen but you might notice a _long_ pause); or
- try the same initramfs as an external image.

Regards,

Paul