[Lguest] Host and Guests

Daniel Baluta daniel.baluta at gmail.com
Mon May 19 21:45:50 EST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 May 2008 00:19:20 Daniel Baluta wrote:
>> Hello ,
>>
>> I think I dont understand very well this :
>>
>> arch/x86/lguest/boot.c
>> ==
>> First, we start with a normal Linux kernel and insert a module (lg.ko)
>> which allows us to run other Linux
>> kernels the same way we'd run processes.  We call the first kernel the
>> Host, and the others the Guests.
>> ==
>>
>> So , the normal kernel is the Host , and the normal kernel + lg.ko is
>> Guest.?
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> The normal kernel, with lg.ko inserted, is the Host.  The Guest doesn't need
> the lg.ko module (and in fact, it'll fail if you try to insert it).
>
> Hope that clarifies!
> Rusty.

thank-you rusty ,

now this part is very clear to me.

I have another question regarding the next paragraph

===
 Secondly, we only run specially modified Guests, not normal kernels.  When
 you set CONFIG_LGUEST to 'y' or 'm', this automatically sets
 CONFIG_LGUEST_GUEST=y, which compiles this file into the kernel so it knows
 how to be a Guest.  This means that you can use the same kernel you boot
 normally (ie. as a Host) as a Guest.
===

but CONFIG_LGUEST = y is also set within Host
as i have seen in http://lguest.ozlabs.org/lguest.txt , configuring kernel.

so where is the difference between a host and a guest, regarding the
part when each one finds its identity ( ex: i'm host or guest?)

thank-you in advance.