[Lguest] Error inserting lg: Cannot allocate memory

Balaji Rao balajirrao at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:18:03 EST 2008

On Tuesday 04 March 2008 12:06:04 pm Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Monday 25 February 2008 09:05:49 Stefan Hellermann wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to try lguest, but I it doesn't work here. When I load lg it
> > says: FATAL: Error inserting lg
> > (/lib/modules/2.6.25-rc2-via/kernel/drivers/lguest/lg.ko): Cannot
> > allocate memory
>
> Damn, someone finally hit this.  Looks like your BIOS wants those pages for
> some reason.
>
> This happens to me, too.  And it didn't before.  I'm bisecting now to see
> what changed.  If we have to change this, it's fairly invasive to make it
> variable :(

Hi rusty,

IIRC, I got the same error when I ran lguest out of a pretty old mm kernel
(2.6.24 rc5-mm/rc4-mm). I imagined it to be a usual problem with the mm
kernels itself and didnt bother report it. I also remember seeing a message
in dmesg which told me to pass a large enough number to vmalloc=XXX kernel
parameter for the module load to succeed.

I don't remember the exact details, but I thought i should report whatever i
remember..

--
regards,

balaji rao
National Institute of Technology, Karnataka