[Lguest] paravirt_ops and HAL

Pablo pchacin at ac.upc.edu
Thu Jan 17 08:37:58 EST 2008

Greetings

First, I want to say thank for this interesting project, which in
resulting an invaluable source to me to get a better understanding of
virtualization in Linux.

After reading the criticisms from Ingo about the impact of including
paravirt_ops in the kernel (http://lwn.net/Articles/225884/) and also
the disadvantages pointed in this article
(http://ols.108.redhat.com/2007/Reprints/nakajima-Reprint.pdf) from the
Linux Symposium, it seams to me that the whole problem comes from the
lack of a HAL in the Linux kernel that concentrates all the hardware
related code so that we have a single point of change.

My two questions here are: is paravirt_ops an initial step towards this
end? and if so, do you think this is a direction the Linux kernel should
take?

Thanks for your kind answers ;-)

Pablo